Knowing what to expect is difficult when considering whether to foster a child, we’re here to answer all your burning questions! See below for some questions we’ve received in the past.
What will the first steps of my experience look like?
- Upon contacting us our customer care team will send you out an information pack.
- This pack will include information on CareSouth, the types of care, and what support will look like. You will also have an opportunity to read other carer stories.
- The next step is a ‘get to know you’ session where you get to ask us more specific questions about caring. This is usually done at your home, but due to COVID-19 this has been difficult, so our first “face to face” meeting may be via video.
- You can then fill out our carer application to progress onto training.
How long will it take to be approved?
Our foster carers participate in an assessment and training process before becoming an authorised carer. This process can take anywhere between 3 – 12 months depending on a few things.
• Probity checks (completed external to CareSouth)
• Training dates
• Your schedule and upcoming commitments
We understand this is a big decision for you and your family. So you can take your time with the process and opt-out at any stage if you aren’t comfortable.
I don’t think I can be a foster carer because…
• I am single
• I am in a same-sex couple
• I am too young
• I am too old
• I already have children
• I travel for work
We want to bust some myths about becoming a foster carer. Kids in our care come from all walks of life and so do our carers. We recognise that families come in all shapes and sizes and what matters most is love and respect. We’re looking for everyday people willing to support vulnerable kids in big and little ways. So no matter your circumstances, if you have ever considered fostering, there has never been a greater need.
Be bold – get in contact with us today! You can call us on 1300 554 260 or submit an enquiry below.